Sunday 23 October 2011

Technology for technologys sake


   I hate technology for technologys' sake. One of the things I really hate are mobile 'phones (or portable telephonic apparatus) that do so much more, and yet fail in their basic function. To be telephones. All I wnt from a mobile phone is to be able to: A; call someone and be able to hear them. B; have someone call me etc. Our company have been given these blackcurrant thingies. They are all singing and all dancing, and huge, and fragile. Now, I have broken quite a few 'phones so giving me one of these is a waste of time and money. It would not survive 10 min. I use my own fairly robust handset, and with it's bluetooth ear piece, I can work/drive and converse relatively easily. Sound is usually fine except in Flatshire, where the current provider's signal is not good. The pointless blackcurrant thingy will stay in it's box. 
   GPS is another of the things I hate. Well, not GPS as such, but  SatNav. I can read maps, I actually like the Ordinance Survey maps, and with 'Google Earth' (other mapping products are available, I am sure) I can pre plan a journey long before setting out. Including 'cut and runs'. (Alternate routs, just in case). The photograph at the top of this page is of my Mother's Sextant (Ooer missus). Yes, she could navigate, and use up to date technology, admittedly old technology. If the Spams ever put GPS into crypto mode, the sextant will still work. You'll be stuck under a bridge, or in a river.


No comments:

Post a Comment