Wednesday 18 April 2012

Perceptions

I have often wondered why people are drawn to certain professions. For instance, a Veterinary practitioner has a long and very difficult  training course to pass before they are let loose on poorly animals. Doctors and Nurses do too. Not on poorly animals, but then again, have you seen a casualty department on a Saturday night? Now I know the financial rewards may be quite substantial in some cases, but I bet that isn't the main reason (initially anyway) that one would choose that sort of profession. I wanted to be a vet, well sort of. I knew our local vet quite well, his practise was well thought of . I even helped (well, I like to think that I did) on a couple of occasions. From this I realised that I am squeamish. I found this out by sitting on a cow, holding her rumen in during a 'C' section. It wasn't something I was prepared to do on a day to day basis, and the cow didn't like the idea either. I can understand why you may like to join the Armed forces. The training is the best in the world. The Esprit-de-Corps is something no other profession can provide. The down side is that people try to get you killed. Which brings me to today's point. Politicians. Why would a competent person ever consider being a politician? If you like the job you trained for, and are capable of carrying it out well and, I suppose, be suitably remunerated for it, you would stick with it. Which make me think that most politicians must have been incompetent in their original chosen fields.
    When I was younger, I used to think that our 'leaders' must have either some special ability, or be so much cleverer than the average person. They must be able to do all that I can do, plus more. But now I realise that this cannot be true. Many people I know are extremely good at their jobs, Conscientious  to a fault, and yet their futures are in the hands of an elected numbty who's only concern is being re-elected onto the gravy train. He has no idea of the value of anything. But he knows the cost of all. In as much as it affects his salary. The council needs to save X pounds. If he sacked himself, the savings would; a, be met, and b; be immediate. But he is too indispensable for that. And yet he takes his full holiday quota with no problems, and the place doesn't stop without him. The section that I deal with, on the other hand, is supposed to be manned 24/7, even a few minutes missed due to a fire alarm, say, can be a disaster for some poor member of the public. Even and up to the loss of life. But that's ok if you are a politician.

2 comments:

  1. I've often thought there are People who are much more suitable both educationally and in experience than the lot we always seem to end up with as elected MP's.....who could do the job better standing on their heads with one hand tied behind their backs.
    I'm sure most of the MP's start out with High Ideals, but as the old adage says "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    I remember some years ago reading a science fiction story where a computer selected a competent leader. Invariably the most competent person was the one who leased wanted the job..

    ReplyDelete