Saturday 19 November 2011

Cildren in Need



 Now I support CIN whole heartedly. Mainly for the kids that have no choices in life. Those with MS or Autism etc.. Anything to make their lives a life is worth the effort, and their parents and guardians need help too. But some, well.

It's a funny thing poverty. There seems to be a sliding scale. Now poverty in my mind is; darkest Africa, the slums of India or South America. They have absolutely nothing. The idea that they can own anything is beyond their understanding.

I grew up on a smallholding. We didn't have electricity. We didn't (and still don't) have mains water. No mains anything at that time. No TV, and the radio only picked up long wave. My Dad worked as a panel beater ad a garage 30 miles from home, my Mum ran the farm. To be honest, sometimes the animals had more to eat than we did. But that wasn't poverty. We were better off than some of my friends. Their water supply would pack up if there was no rain for a couple of weeks. They didn't live in poverty either. We had roofs over our heads and beds and clothing that wasn't made of lice...

Oh, and we were not living on state handouts either.

There's another thing, have you noticed, the 'poorer' a family is, the bigger the TV and the dog? The more they smoke and drink? (er, not the dog, well, other than secondary smoking) And I bet they have Sky Sports too. And broad band, which out in the sticks is more elastic band..

I think many  parents are lazy, leaving education to the schools, who cannot educate their unruly offspring because the parents leave education to the schools.. Mine encouraged me to read, then complained that I always had my nose in a book, when there was work to be done... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment